Wednesday, December 21, 2005

DFT 20 minutes after parking.


dftday1, originally uploaded by hearsedrv.

What a day, what a day.

This photo is right after we parked and right before the Vaseline incident, facing the back of the DFT theme camp, with my back to the Rainforest Refugees (which are not there yet) That is pharaoh on top of the trailer, he was one of the leads for the DFT camp. The girl in the shirt is Paullina not 20 minutes after arriving! The brown thing is the community shower. The camp is not even half way set up at this point. No music, no bar, no front signs, no pilloasis, there was a lot of work to do.

So we threw off some bikes then walked over to meet the guys and gals working hard at setting up the DFT camp. I ended up helping them build there camp all day long! I ran lights, Built the bar, got the DJ booth all plugged in.

First started just as the gopher. If I saw someone doing a task and I understood what they were doing I jumped up and did it so they could go onto something else. It does not take a genius to run lights, but it takes a creative person to know were to run them. Hey you point it out and I will do it!

Setting up a camp in the middle of the dessert with limited resources can be a challenge and everyone pitched in. Some more than others but everyone pretty much gave it there all.

I had to get everyone’s name about 20 times before I could remember it and some I still cant remember. At one point one of the ladies that was “in charge” at the dft had asked me to do some stuff and I did. After about the 5th thing I did for her I asked her name and she said “Katy”…I hollered with joy “Katy? Hell my wifes name is katy, I can remember your name and I do what katy says so I am your beatch for the week!” oh and she is red headed and I know from experience don’t argue or fight with a redhead!

I realized right off that this theme camp was my type of people. They were all from Houston and Austin with a few from the Dallas area. And Texans, well at least the ones there at the DFT camp, know how to fix things, and build things and are not afraid of hard work. Plus the heat sure didn’t bother us. For us it was nice and cool. No humidity! Can you imagine!

Getting the DJ booth working was a challenge. I had never worked on one before but after a little studying me and DJ Darius from the Rainforest Refugees (he showed up about 10 minutes after we did) got it working and we had tunes to work with.

About 7 pm or so I was up on the ladder to the dft trailer running some lights and looked down and saw the guy in charge of the rainforest camp….and thus a great story begins….

No comments: