Tuesday, March 8, 2005

The Band Director

I have never like band directors.
Durn Band Queers!

Going off on a tangent, I know Band Queers is not a politically correct term but I don’t give a damn.
The other day I got slammed about saying “oriental” when talking about my sister or brother.
See I have some bro’s and sisters from Korea, and I just said something like “My oriental sister is a lawyer” and one of the people in our party just about had a fit!
“You cant say oriental, that’s really derogatory!”
Now just a damn minute. Oriental is derogatory? How about lawyer?

So what the hell is the difference between Oriental and Asian? Isn’t the orient in the Asian pacific? So if you’re Korean and you hated the Chinese, but you’re called an Asian, wouldn’t that be derogatory also?
How about if your born in Korea, flown to America when your 6 months old, raised by white parents, in a catholic house in a redneck west Texas city, then you go off to law school and marry a white man and cant speak Korean and are shorter than a loaf of bread and like hockey would you really be insulted if your brother said “my sister is oriental” in a conversation?
Wouldn’t you be shocked that the sob even realized it?

They tried to explain it…” you have an oriental rug not oriental people!”

Ok smart one…”I have an Asian vase holding the ashes for my dead dog! “

So damn were was I?

Oh yea BAND QUEERS.

We called em that in JR High and High School.

Ahh hell I am tired of typing, I will tell the story of the snowball, the bald headed band director and the F bomb another time!

3 comments:

E. McPan said...

You're crazy. We should podcast this post sometime.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Hearsedrv.....I'm frantically trying to recall how many times I've called my children Oriental with great pride, never knowing I was insulting them. Do you think DHS is coming after me? Verbal abuse!

Anonymous said...

I too am confused about the use of the term 'Oriental'. During brief consumption a bowl of Ramen I consulted Google and was dissapointed that I could not find any news articles (within 30 seconds) where this seemingly derogatory term had hit the headlines.